Texas Man Charged with Manslaughter After 5-Year-Old Boy Killed in Tarrant County Train Collision
TARRANT COUNTY, TX — A 24-year-old man has been charged with manslaughter following a fatal train collision in Tarrant County that claimed the life of a 5-year-old boy earlier this week.
Authorities say the crash occurred on Wednesday at Elliot Reeder and Colony Court when Fabian Riojas allegedly attempted to bypass an active railroad barricade, resulting in a deadly collision with a Trinity Railway Express (TRE) train.
Crash Details and Investigation
According to officials, Riojas was driving a vehicle with the young child when the crossing arms were down and the warning signals were active. Despite the clear alerts, investigators say Riojas drove around the barricade and directly into the path of the oncoming train.
The impact was catastrophic. The 5-year-old child was pronounced dead at the scene, while Riojas suffered minor injuries and was taken into custody shortly afterward.
“This tragedy could have been avoided. These safety barriers exist to protect lives,” a Tarrant County investigator said.
The driver has since been booked into the Fort Worth Jail on manslaughter charges.
Passengers and Train Crew Unharmed
Officials confirmed that none of the 43 passengers aboard the TRE train were injured in the collision. The scene was shut down for several hours as local law enforcement and investigators from the Tarrant County Sheriff’s Office and TRE Rail Safety Division examined the wreckage.
Authorities said the collision is a stark reminder of the dangers of ignoring active railroad signals and barricades.
Community Response and Safety Warning
Residents near the crash site expressed grief and anger, calling the child’s death “heartbreaking and preventable.” Several noted that the crossing is well-marked and has functioning gates and lights.
Rail safety officials urge drivers to never attempt to cross when warning lights are flashing or gates are down, emphasizing that trains can take more than a mile to stop even after applying emergency brakes.
The National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) and local prosecutors are reviewing evidence, including train camera footage and signal records, as part of the ongoing investigation.
Riojas remains in custody pending a bond hearing.
Stay informed on breaking stories and community safety updates at NapervilleLocal.com.

Naperville is a community with stories that deserve to be told — both the serious ones about safety and justice, and the lighter ones that capture our culture and daily life. I focus on covering crime reports and court updates while also highlighting the traditions, events, and social trends that shape who we are. Through my reporting, I want to give readers a fuller picture of Naperville — the challenges we face and the character that keeps our city strong.